Re: [BKARTS] A little shameless publicity

This was an interesting response...but what do YOU use for ink? My only exposure has been to speedball inks.
Thanks.

Peggy Marrs

On Apr 28, 2007, at 1:10 PM, Justin Miller wrote:

--- Kathleen Garness <kmgfinearts@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

technique tips most welcome!

One problem I have been running into:  When I ink up my block, the
inked image seems not as dense as I'd like, even tho the ink has good
coverage on the block. Is something wrong with the ink? I have a
Speedball water-based ink and also an oil-based ink. Even the oil-
based ink a friend loaned me didn't get a good impression, with thin
Japanese paper and a good baren...  Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for your kind words about my work.

Your first problem is the speedball ink. It is great to let kids have the
exprience of printing, but not worth a darn for professional work.
Second, a baren will require lots of elbow grease. Try a wooden spoon, or
a board over you paper, and standing on the print. A press will make
things lots easier, but is too costly for a first project.

Justin Miller

Bound Staff Press
Design - Photography - Books
www.geocities.com/boundstaffpress