[BKARTS] Letterpress printers: print a broadside for Mutanabbi Street

To protest & commemorate the bombing of Mutanabbi Street, the center of bookselling in Baghdad, on March 5th 2007, the Mutanabbi Street Coalition is organizing a reading and other events that will begin in August 2007 in San Francisco. In conjunction with the reading we are inviting letterpress printers anywhere to contribute a broadside.
If you would like to participate, please email kwalk@xxxxxxxxxx You will be put on an email list and will receive information as it develops, and we will know how many broadsides to plan for.
Here is how it will work:

We are asking each printer to contribute at least ten broadsides so that we can make sets and sell them. Proceeds will benefit Doctors Without Borders and other Iraqi support organizations. Sets will be offered for sale to Bay Area and other libraries and will be taken to the Oak Knoll Fest in October on the East Coast. One boxed set may be auctioned through the San Francisco Center for the Book.
Broadsides should be between 9x12 and 12x18 inches (portrait or landscape orientation). Paper is the choice and responsibility of the printer. Please be certain that COPYRIGHT PERMISSION is held for any work you undertake; we will be unable to include the broadside in the sets for sale if copyright is not indicated. Deadline for broadside delivery is August 15, 2007. Details about delivery will follow.
SPECIAL OPPORTUNITY: If you are interested in being matched with a contemporary Iraqi writer, please contact Lisa Rappoport (cutvelvet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx).
The Mutanabbi Street Coalition reading will be held on Sunday, August 26, 2007, at 2pm at the San Francisco Public Library. The San Francisco Center for the Book will host an informal viewing, broadside exchange, and evening of printing and readings on Friday, September 28, 2007, from 7-9pm.
For more information about the Mutanabbi Street Coalition please see http://artifactseries.blogspot.com/2007/05/call-for-volunteers-mutanabbi-street.html.

Kathleen Walkup Professor Director, Book Arts Program Mills College 5000 MacArthur Blvd. Oakland, CA 94613 510 430 2001 510 430 3314/fax