[BKARTS] Question re cover/endpaper paper used by Grolier Society

Not having much luck researching this, but it occurs to me that someone on
this list might have a reference or knowledge of this paper:

As a bookseller, I often find myself dealing with curiosities and
"unknowns." At the moment, I have a number of sets of books (or partial
sets, drat it) produced by the Grolier Society (London) circa 1900. Their
very high-end sets (OK, they were the Franklin Mint of their day, but they
did do some spectacular editions) employ high-quality leather, raised spine
bands, gilding, hand-colored frontises, etc. Some of these books have a
lovely mottled paper in soft flowing colors, used on the covers (which are
3/4 bound) and as endpapers (matching). To my eye, these appear to be
hand-made watercolor sheets, wet-on-wet.

I have seen the term "aquarelle" used on some sets, which would imply a
reference to either this paper, or to the hand-watercolored illustrations.

So the question is: IS this watercolored paper, and if so, IS "aquarelle" an
accepted term for it? (I realize that it's an appropriate term for
watercolor and watercolor paper, but I really want to know if this was an
accepted type of bookbinder paper or just something they made up because it
sounded French and significant.)

Curious minds and all,

Thanks!

Lee