[BKARTS] Signature

The concept goes back to the early twelfth century, when books were produced by the pecia system: separate quires (what you guys would call signatures, I guess) were handed out to freelance copyists. In order to assemble the separate written sig...I mean, quires, you needed some mark at the end of each suggesting where it joined with the following one. Of course these were not "signatures" by individual scribes, though presumably there was a little bit of personal leeway involved in the choice of "catchwords," as they're called sometimes.

Paul Werner, New York