[BKARTS] Upcoming workshops at BookWorks (Asheville, NC)

Book friends,

We hope you'll take a look at our MAY - SEPTEMBER 2007 CLASS CATALOG at www.ashevillebookworks.com, featuring workshops taught by Heather Allen-Swarttouw, Jennifer Brook, Wanrudee Buranakorn, Laurie Corral, Gwen Diehn, Jacob Diehn, Daniel Essig, Colin Frazer, Celia Gray, Judith O'Rourke, Katherine McGinn, Micah Pulleyn, Annie Fain Liden, Shawn Sheehy, Sandy Webster and Gretchen Winger. As you'll see in the new catalog, BookWorks has chosen to offer more week-long, intensive workshops this summer, geared toward students who wish to immerse themselves in the book arts. In addition, for those who are unable to get away during the week, we've scheduled an array of weekend classes that are similarly focused, comprehensive and exciting!

Below are only a few of our upcoming classes. Please visit our website for more!

Pop-Ups 101 with Shawn Sheehy July 16-20 Monday - Friday: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm (1-hour lunch break)

Who hasn’t been surprised and delighted by the apparent magic of a pop-up book? In this 5-day workshop students will acquire sufficient knowledge of pop-up structures to shed light on the engineer’s secrets. Beginning with basic tools and techniques of pop-up construction, participants will quickly move on to building a variety of simple, versatile forms. Various ways of lifting those forms will be explored, especially those that give a pop-up a sense of animation. Participants will invent their own combinations of forms and lifts. Ultimately, the class will work together to edition a modest book of their own devising, so that each participant might take home a copy. Throughout the workshop, participants will view and discuss the work of commercial pop-up engineers. No experience necessary.

The Art of Printing From Glass with Judith O'Rourke
July 7 & 8
Saturday & Sunday: 9:00 am–5:00 pm (1-hour lunch break)

Master Printer from  Littleton Studio, Judith O’Rourke, will teach this Intro to Vitreography, two different methods of printing from glass plates. Students will create an intaglio print by abrading the glass surface with diamond points, honing tools and etching paste. In another printing process, students will create a form of waterless lithography on glass using water-soluble drawing and painting materials. After experimenting with these methods of printing from glass, students can combine both techniques within the same print.

To accompany this workshop, BookWorks will exhibit over 20 prints from Littleton Studios from June 2 through August 25. Join us for an Open House on Saturday, June 2 from noon-4:00 pm. See our Events page for details.

Japanese Box (Hako Chitsu) with Wanrudee Buranakorn
July 14 & 15
Saturday & Sunday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (1-hour lunch break)

This box is a variation of Japanese hinged cases (chitsu), traditionally used to store one or more volumes of a book.  This style of box case provides ideal storage and display of various sizes and shapes of books and papers, jewelry, photographs, memorabilia, etc.  Students will learn the traditional Japanese methods to construct the box using bookbinding boards, bookcloth, decorative papers, and bone clasps (tsume of kohaze). Beginners welcome.

www.ashevillebookworks.com
BookWorks
428 1/2 Haywood Road
Asheville, NC  28806