[BKARTS] filmoplast v. lineco/CCI research on tape and heat-set products

Greetings
Jane Down contributes this information to the recent thread on the archival qualities of filmoplast v. lineco repair tape (original query not found).
jgodsey wrote:
 for my purposes I recommend Lineco's document repair tape, since it is
 cheaper
 and the object of the repair will be to prevent further damage.
 the repair can always be reversed later on.
 but i don't have a tangible reason to recommend one over the other. ,

Jane Down also gave an update on CCI's research on tape and heat-set products related to the following post.
Dave Allen
<snip>
I found the message below yours in this message on the cool site which
indicates that the CCI in Ottawa was going to start testing in 2001 but
haven't found any results yet. DOes anyone else have a link to the results?

from Jane Down
In our research project on Tapes and Heat-set Tissues (THST), we included 6 filmoplast products ...

filmoplast P
filmoplast P90
filmoplast P91
filmoplast SH
filmoplast T
filmoplast R

and 7 Lineco products ....

Gummed Paper Hinging
Gummed Japanese Hunging Paper, Hayaku
Gummed Linen Hinging Tape
Transparent Mending Tape
Self-Adhesive Linen Hinging Tape
Self-Adhesive Frame Sealing Tape (Gray and White)
"Heat-set" Hinging/Repair Tissue.

To which products do you specifically refer? It is difficult to answer your question without knowing to which specific products you refer. Send me the specific names and I will let you know what we have found out so far.
You might have heard that CCI has been undergoing some major renovations for the last 4 years. Because of this we have not had access to our labs and many research projects have been put on hold pending completion of the renovations. This has been the fate of the THST project .... it is on hold. We did do the screening of the tapes and tissues and this I wrote up in PapierRestaurierung, vol 7, no 1, pp. 13-17, 2006. But I have not been able to start the preliminary testing nor makeup any samples for the comprehensive testing as I have no lab and nowhere to put the samples. I am told that the renovations are nearly over and we should have access to our labs soon. I hope to start the preliminary testing by the fall. It seems amazing that we started this project over 4 years ago and have only the screening program finished. But such are the conditions at CCI.

In the screening program, we analysed all components of the products and did a pH measurement on each. The PapierRestaurierung paper only lists the products that we chose for the comprehensive testing so if you would like to know the results of other products, please send me your list of products and I will see if we tested them and send you their results.

Hope this is helpful to you.
Sincerely
Jane L. Down
Senior Conservation Scientist | Scientifique principale en conservation
Canadian Conservation Institute  |  Institut canadien de conservation
1030 Innes Rd   |   1030, chemin Innes  |  Ottawa  ON   K1A 0M5
(613) 371-2182   |   fax / télécopieur (613) 998-4721

-- Olivia Primanis Senior Book Conservator Harry Ransom Center The University of Texas at Austin