Re: [BKARTS] Brass Type in US?

If you're going to be using the type in a pallet (for hand use), or in a low volume stamping press environment, I would like to suggest you look into cast type as well. When I bought my Model 86 Kwikprint I purchased 2 fonts in 7 sizes each for about what I would have paid for perhaps 2~3 sizes of a single font in brass. I think I spent about $900 in 1999. Even in the small sizes with normal gentle use, I have lost very few letters to wear. Additionally the type was sold by weight meaning that I got lots of letters in the smaller sizes (I started with 8pt) and still had more than enough for normal titling at 32pt (my largest). The type can be used equally well in hand pallet or the Kwikprint (or any other stamping press). Key, of course, is know how to use the equipment, how much pressure is needed, temperature settings, ...

Oh, I ordered all my type from M&H, http://www.arionpress.com/mandh/, in San Francisco and had it shipped to Upstate New York.

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC
<verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>