From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Peter
Verheyen
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 11:37 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Brass Type in US?

If you're going to be using the type in a pallet (for hand use), or in a low

volume stamping press environment, I would like to suggest you look into
cast type as well. When I bought my Model 86 Kwikprint I purchased 2 fonts
in 7 sizes each for about what I would have paid for perhaps 2~3 sizes of a
single font in brass. I think I spent about $900 in 1999. Even in the small
sizes with normal gentle use, I have lost very few letters to wear.
Additionally the type was sold by weight meaning that I got lots of letters
in the smaller sizes (I started with 8pt) and still had more than enough for

normal titling at 32pt (my largest). The type can be used equally well in
hand pallet or the Kwikprint (or any other stamping press). Key, of course,
is know how to use the equipment, how much pressure is needed, temperature
settings, ...

Oh, I ordered all my type from M&H, http://www.arionpress.com/mandh/, in San

Francisco and had it shipped to Upstate New York.

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC
<verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
The Book Arts Web & Book_Arts-L Listserv <http://www.philobiblon.com>