Re: [BKARTS] blogging on book arts

Clara,

Thanks for the kind words.

My thoughts on the use of images is this: If you're reviewing a site or artist or show or event, you can use images to promote and review these items. And it's always best to link to the particular artist, site, show, etc. I always provide links, and often offer a "Via" link if I found the information from another site altogether, such as another blog.

I consider using images for these purposes the same as a magazine using the image of a book and / or author to promote a book.

Our website in particular contains a fair amount of promotion for other artists, sites, shows and openings.

I do object to sites using images to, say, make a point. For instance, if you want to talk about how much you hate television, then use an image from someone's site of a smashed TV, or maybe you want to talk about how much you love miniature books, with lots of images but no credit, these uses are not so great if you don't provide credit.

Personally I draw a line for our blog when using images, however I don't sweat it too much when I see abuses on the web. I've seen sites use images of Rag & Bone Books to promote diary keeping with only a small credit at the bottom of the article. I see this mostly with larger publications / sites. Small bloggers for the most part are a friendly and sharing bunch.

And just a caveat regarding Flickr. I recently reviewed the Philip Smith show and used personal images that someone took at the show with their own camera. I asked permission before I posted and provided a link. These kinds of uses should always be cleared in advance. But I did not ask permission to use the promotional Philip Smith photos in the blog post.

Is this what everyone else is doing?

My 2 cents.

----------------------------

Jason, Rag & Bone Bindery has been on my blog list for a while now. I love the wonderfully eclectic mix of items you post. Thanks.

Clara

-----------------------

Rag & Bone Bindery has a blog, we blog about books, book art,
bookbinding, paper craft, paper making, box making, journaling,
design, print & patterns, textiles, origami, art events and other
topics that interest us folks here at Rag & Bone.

http://ragandbone.com/blogger/

We started blog for three specific reasons. For marketing: to bring
more eyeballs to our retail site. For research: to involve ourselves
in the design world and stay on trends. For personal reasons: We
found ourselves spending too much time in the office taking care of
"business" things and not spending enough time taking care of "artsy"
things. Our blog has gotten us back into the book, paper and design
world and increased our ecommerce web traffic as well.

I can't say enough about the networking possibilities with blogging.
It's all good!

Jason Thompson
Rag & Bone Bindery
http://ragandbone.com/blogger/