Re: [BKARTS] blogging on book arts

Jason,
You can, but you should still get permission. That is basic copyright and really just good form. When the Guild exhibition was reviewed in Fiber Arts and American Craft they requested the right to use specific images. When exhibits at the University (Syracuse) were covered in the local rags they either took their own or requested permission/use of ours. Also blogs and websites are considered forms of "publication," just as this email is, and fair use has it's limitations.

My thoughts on the use of images is this: If you're reviewing a site or artist or show or event, you can use images to promote and review these items. And it's always best to link to the particular artist, site, show, etc. I always provide links, and often offer a "Via" link if I found the information from another site altogether, such as another blog.

I consider using images for these purposes the same as a magazine using the image of a book and / or author to promote a book.

That's great and it's much appreciated.

Our website in particular contains a fair amount of promotion for other artists, sites, shows and openings.

Also Facebook and other similar sites. This is under "User Content Posted on the Site

" from Facebook's terms of use at <http://www.facebook.com/terms.php>...

"By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing."

And just a caveat regarding Flickr. I recently reviewed the Philip Smith show and used personal images that someone took at the show with their own camera. I asked permission before I posted and provided a link. These kinds of uses should always be cleared in advance. But I did not ask permission to use the promotional Philip Smith photos in the blog post.

Now, let's do something useful, productive, and creative and work on books so others have something to blog about.

p.

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC
<verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>