[BKARTS] The Working Book with Tate Shaw

July 16-20
THE WORKING BOOK
with TATE SHAW

Tate Shaw makes artists' books and is co-publisher of Preacher's Biscuit
Books, Rochester, NY. He works with Visual Studies Workshop Press, currently
manages the Independent Press Archive at VSW and teaches in their MFA
program. Shaw is an instructor at Pyramid Atlantic Arts Center in Silver
Spring, MD where he will be coordinating their 10th Biennial Book Arts Fair
and Conference in 2008. Shaw is on the board of Journal of Artists' Books
(JAB) . His essays, interviews and reporting on artists' books can be found
in JAB, Afterimage, The Blue Notebook, and The Artists' Book Yearbook.

Location and orientation are fundamental when using the book as a vehicle to
present photographs. A book has working components like a machine. Part of
the machinery is material, such as the gutter, fore-edge, head, and tail.
Other parts are directorial like the table of contents, footnotes, indices,
and appendices. Additionally, there are physical parts related to reading,
such as energy, force, and motion through a book. In this workshop we will
explore the metaphorical meanings of a book¹s various components. We will
study and discuss useful examples of photographic art that makes use of book
mechanics. Most importantly, there will be daily exercises where we attempt
to assemble working books from photographs. In addition, we will investigate
how to read and critique the interaction of photographs and the book form.
Those interested should come prepared with an archive of photographs and be
willing to read and discuss brief texts.

Visual Studies Workshop Summer Institute
Full course catalog available online: http://vsw.org
Intensive one-week workshops in photography, film, video, artists¹
books, web design and much more available for college credit.
workshops@xxxxxxx or 585-442-8676 x112 for more information