[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [BKARTS] folded-in corners query

I do not have a name for the folded-corners of text that remain untrimmed. As suggested by Ray Nichols, "Butterflies" sounds good.
However, I immediately recall a statement from a Bibliographer who spoke at the 1980 conservation conference at Cambridge University. He said something like "I know you book conservators, when you find one of those folded corners, you want to unfold it and cut it nice and clean. DON'T cut it, as it is evidence of the original size of the sheet, and that is very useful for researchers."

Bill Minter

On Jun 27, 2007, at 4:15 AM, Claire Bolton wrote:

Is there an official name for the folded-in corners, sometimes found in old
books and contemporary bindings, that have missed the binder's trim?


William Minter Bookbinding & Conservation, Inc. 4364 Woodbury Pike Woodbury, PA 16695 814-793-4020 Fax: 814-793-4045 Email: wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Bonefolder, Vol. 3, No. 2, Spring 2007
Now Online @ <http://www.philobiblon.com/bonefolder>
Visit "The Book of Origins: A survey of American Fine Binding"
Online exhibit and catalog order form at
For all your subscription questions, go to the
Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive.
See <http://www.philobiblon.com> for full information

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]