Re: [BKARTS] How to remove end papers safely? [resend]

Soak the board in a tray of water. Add some alcohol or strong detergent as a surfactant. If, after 24 hours, the ep is still not freeing up, add some pancreatic enzyme to dissolve the paste/glue used. When the way is clear, work the endpaper away from the board from the rear, i.e. peel away the layers of cardboard until the back of the ep starts to be revealed. Patience, perseverance, attention, and a gentle touch, is the key.

David

Jules Siegel wrote:

I am repairing a not-valuable hardcover book published in 1949. The
cover looks as if it got wet and was eaten by insects. There's not much
to salvage there, but the end papers are in perfect shape and have maps
that are important. How do I safely remove the end papers?