[BKARTS] fusible interfacing versus paper

My nice little doggie dug apart my futon which had a very cool decorator fabric cover. I want to salvage the large pieces for book covering. And I have spent time in the list archives, digging out gems on how to do this.

My question is, why wouldn't the application of a fusible interfacing like pellon do the same thing as using a fusing product like Heat 'n Bond with a paper backing? Is it an archival issue? Or is interfacing too "soft" a material for backing? Someone had suggested several years ago that fusible interfacing is temporary until sewn but I am not sure that if that is correct. Having sewn for a number of years, fusible interfacing held in areas (away from the seams) after many washings.

Thanks.

--
Mary Jo Koranda