Re: [BKARTS] BEVA film

I've used BEVA-371 to line fragile spines w/Japanese paper prior
to lifting them, and it was not difficult to remove the tissue/adhesive
after re-backing to re-attach the original spine.

I have some BEVA film, but have not used it on leather.

About 25 years ago I had a window of opportunity at a scanning electron
microscope and looked at some synthetic consolidants for leather, including
BEVA-371.

Among the three I had on hand BEVA-371 seemed least useful as a consolidant
as it simply filled some of the space between leather fibers.

Pliantex seemed best, as it appeared to coat the fibers, leaving the
interstitial space free.

At that time I did not have any Klucel-G, so it was not tested.

Jack

(snip)
>I am curious about any uses in the leather bookbinding world.  Before
>anyone freaks out, I don't own any BEVA film, and I am not prepared to
>use it in the near future. I find all syntheitc adheseives to be a pain
>to remove, so I'm not advocating any great departures from traditional
>practice.  I'm just wondering whether anyone has actually tried it with
>leather on books.
>

>Valinda Carroll
>Preservation Manager
>Harvey Library