[BKARTS] Note to Peter re order of messages

Hi Peter,
I noticed today that while I got the reply from Jack to the Beva message I never received the original message from Valinda Carroll. Does your listserve preserve any record of bounces? This is not the first time this has happened and I certainly would like to track down why it is happening. Often I get the original question days later than the answers.
Any ideas?
Dave Allen

840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
(250)888-9380    http://www.Bookbinder.ca

Jack C. Thompson wrote:
I've used BEVA-371 to line fragile spines w/Japanese paper prior
to lifting them, and it was not difficult to remove the tissue/adhesive
after re-backing to re-attach the original spine.

I have some BEVA film, but have not used it on leather.

About 25 years ago I had a window of opportunity at a scanning electron
microscope and looked at some synthetic consolidants for leather, including
BEVA-371.

Among the three I had on hand BEVA-371 seemed least useful as a consolidant
as it simply filled some of the space between leather fibers.

Pliantex seemed best, as it appeared to coat the fibers, leaving the
interstitial space free.

At that time I did not have any Klucel-G, so it was not tested.

Jack

(snip)
I am curious about any uses in the leather bookbinding world.  Before
anyone freaks out, I don't own any BEVA film, and I am not prepared to
use it in the near future. I find all syntheitc adheseives to be a pain
to remove, so I'm not advocating any great departures from traditional
practice.  I'm just wondering whether anyone has actually tried it with
leather on books.

Valinda Carroll
Preservation Manager
Harvey Library
Hampton University

Thompson Conservation Lab. 7549 N. Fenwick Portland, Oregon 97217 USA

503/735-3942

http://www.teleport.com/~tcl

Chaucer  _Parlement of Foules_ 1386