[BKARTS] Iliazd at the SF Center

Iliazd at the San Francisco Center for the Book

Please note that Kitty Maryatt will be teaching a workshop on letterpress techniques used by the Russian avant-garde artist and publisher Iliazd at the San Francisco Center for the Book in a few weeks. She has admired his work for years, and had a chance to analyze his techniques closely while producing KØTØBÅ NØ PÅRTY with her students at the Scripps College Press last semester. (See www.scrippscollege.edu/dept/art/press and click on publications for more informaton about the book.)

Iliazd Redux: Exploring Shaped Typesetting
Workshop ID: t2-082707-prt
Mon Aug 27 10am-5pm; Tue Aug 28 10am-5pm
$190 plus $25 materials fee

Ilia Zdanevich, the dada artist know by his pseudonym Iliazd, was a progenitor of the contemporary artist's book, known for his radical approach to typography and his concentration on the letterform as a basis for art. We'll analyze his work and that of other early avant- garde book artists to discover useful and direct techniques we can use for expressive text treatments. We'll develop a text together, pencil out rough drafts, set and lock up type in unusual formats, and print broadsides. In the process we'll discover the possibilities and limitations of hand-set letterpress typography, sans computer. You'll end up with a portfolio of each participant's broadsides.

For more informtion, go to www.sfcb.org and click on printing.