Re: [BKARTS] Ramieband

Dear Frank and others,

In my restauration education we used ramieband (or rameh) for strengthening
head and tail of the back of a book. It is a vegetable fiber, made from
Boehmeria nivea and their family members, a nettle. Comes from tropical
Asia, It is a very strong fiber, 3x as strong as cotton, and does hardly
have any stretch, which makes it very suitable for strengthening moving
parts.
I have this information from an article in the Winkler Prins Encyclopedie
(1952), a very good Dutch encyclopedia and of course good on these kind of
subjects because it is a product of the former Dutch colonies.

Kind regards,
Annet Doves

Annet Doves Boekrestauratie, Haarlem, The Netherlands