Re: [BKARTS] Removing paper from a CD-Rom

Valinda,

Quite right. What isn't chemical really. I meant in comparison to lighter fluid etc it is less toxic.

I tried B-Brite on a CD before my recommendation. It is relatively benign. But water would probably do.

Leonard Seastone

-----Original Message----- From: Valinda Carroll <Valinda.Carroll@xxxxxxxxxxxx> To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 4:30 pm Subject: Re: Removing paper from a CD-Rom

B-brite contains sodium carbonate (washing soda) and hydrogen peroxide. Those
are not organic solvents, but they certainly are chemicals. I wouldn't use
hydrogen peroxide on a CD. I would probably just try clean water to soak off the
coffee-soaked paper. If you scratch the label side of the CD it is more likely
to damage the data than if you scratch the "reading" side of the CD. The data
layer is actually closer to the label side.

Good Luck

Valinda Carroll
Preservation Manager
Harvey Library