[BKARTS] Patent gold leaf for finishing?

I recently bought a lot of used/unused books of Swift/Monarch gold leaf. In
the lot were 5 books of patent 23K leaf, and having never used it, I
wondered if the paper backing would cause trouble, ie: pressing it against
the spine or cover would cause the gold to break.

It does seem appealing, no holding the breath to keep the gold from
fluttering across the room, but I don't want to waste my time if it is
inferior to loose gold leaf.

Thank you,

Beth Stegenga
Paternoster Row Books