Re: [BKARTS] sodium hypochloride

On Aug 26, 2007, at 10:24 AM, Jane Thompson wrote:

Has anyone had experience applying powdered sodium hypochloride to
textblock edges with mild to severe brown speckling, followed by a light
brushing?

----- Note: I know that some of our colleagues might write directly to the author, thereby avoiding any public comment (conflict?). These questions, however, can be a learning experience for all of us. I would hope that there could more open discussion on these types of questions via this wonderful tool, the Book Arts List.
Having said that, I offer my opinion on this topic:

I think you are asking for major problems with such a proposed treatment.
The brown speckling might be caused by excessive humidity, and the speckles could be commonly referred to as foxing. I would suggest that you check the moisture content of the paper, normally about 7-8%, and dry them if needed. After you are sure that the books are dry, I would suggest cleaning by vacuuming the books, and then try to carefully dry clean the edges with an eraser. Then, be sure that the books are stored in a relative humidity within an acceptable range around 45%, and continually monitor the environment.

Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020