Re: [BKARTS] Leather

Hi there. I actually buy a lot of leather on Ebay... but most of the books i made have limp leather covers - i'm not usually covering boards with it - so i'm looking for different qualities in leather. I can't get any leather locally so I've been experimenting with ebay leather for a couple years.

In general, though, the lower number (1 oz) is much thinner than the higher numbers (4 oz).

If you search for 'bookbinding' there are actually some leathers on ebay that are specifically labeled as "bookbinding leather" and that is probably better for paring and covering boards. Check the seller's store - if they are selling all bookbinding supplies then they probably know what they are talking about.

If it isn't called "bookbinding leather" you also might want to look for information in the listing about the 'temper' (i think that's what it's called) which describes how it feels...like pliable or drapey...just to make sure you don't get a piece of stiff rigid leather (although just avoid cow and you should be safe... goat, deer, kangaroo are usually nice).

As an aside, 'Hi' to all. I've been a lurker on this list for a long time but i think this is my first time posting.

?Rhonda?

MyHandboundBooks
Nova Scotia, Canada
http://MyHandboundBooks.blogspot.com