Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 2 Sep 2007 to 3 Sep 2007 (#2007-124)

Roadworks: Steamroller Prints and Street Fair
300 De Haro Street between 16th and 17th streets
Saturday, September 8th, 2007
11am - 5pm

Join us for a fun FREE community event at the San Francisco Center for the Book. We have asked 11 local artists (including Kathy Aoki, East Side Editions, Michael Carabetta, Leif Fairfield, Mary Laird, Paul Madonna, Brandon Mise, Rik Olson, Maia de Raat, Patricia Miye Wakida, and William T. Wiley) to create absolutely unique large-scale linoleum block prints that we are then going to press with a two-ton steamroller right in the middle of De Haro Street in front of our Center. In addition to exciting off-the-wall art making, we will have kids activities, music by DJ Shissla (House of Lotus, Burning Man), dozens of book arts vendors; food by Café Coleur and Sally’s Bakery Café - a rollicking street fair!

And everyone can be a Roadworks artist! The Little Linos print sale will feature 1' x 1' pieces of linoleum carved especially for this year's Roadworks street fair by members of the community. We'll steamroller print two copies of each block on the morning of the event, one for the artist to keep and one to be sold that day to benefit SFCB. If you're interested in carving a Little Lino, please contact Katherine Case by email to register by Wednesday, 9/5.

Never carved linoleum before? Get a crash course in our Little Linos class taught especially for the occasion by expert wood engraver and four year Roadworks artist Rik Olson on Wednesday September 5.

And if you simply must have one of the unique prints, you can buy a ticket at the event to the upcoming SFCB GALA PARTY and AUCTION on Friday, November 2 at the California Culinary Academy, to have a chance to bid on the finished artwork…more information on our website (www.sfcb.org) coming soon.

See you there!

About the Center for the Book:

The San Francisco Center for the Book is devoted to teaching the art and craft of making books by hand. We introduce and foster the joy of books. SFCB is a home for Bay Area book artists and a place where the wider community can discover book arts. Everyone is welcome here, experienced practitioners and newcomers alike. Classes and workshops foster learning at all levels. There's always an exhibition up at the Center (currently Black/White and Read, an exploration of book art forms that focus on concept and construction, through October 12), designed to inform and delight visitors. Other free public programs include poetry readings, gallery talks, exhibition openings, book swaps, artist in resident program (IMPRINT) publication release parties, Family Days, Teacher’s Open Houses and a Holiday Book Fair. Sign up for our e-newsletter and our print catalog for all the details.