[BKARTS] Proteus Gowanus Play exhibition

Proteus Gowanus invites you to the opening reception for the yearlong
interdisciplinary exhibit

³Play²

Friday, September 14, 6:00 ­ 9:00 p.m.

³You shall not bite, or not bite hard, your brother¹s ear.²
                            Johan Huizinga, Homo Ludens, (1944)

It is with great excitement that we launch our 2007/2008 interdisciplinary
theme ³Play² at Proteus Gowanus. This year we will explore the versatile
meanings of  ³Play,² investigating its history and future as the bedrock of
culture; its regenerative power as the creative basis of every discipline
and as the spark that ignites the child¹s imagination; and its darker role
in our entertainment-obsessed culture. The exhibit will include an array of
play-related art, artifacts, objects, books and events (Check our website
www.proteusgowanus.com for details), and will unfold over the course of the
year generated by suggestions of visitors to the gallery, a growing number
of ³PG Correspondents,² and by the rich interdisciplinary resources of nine
collaborating non-profit organizations.

We introduce the year with the Play Book, not a catalog, but a book to be
played with - a loose compilation of artist-designed games, play-related
text and images, including pages of anagrams and palindromes, ponderings on
the meaning of play, conundrums by Lewis Carroll, and a short play by
Gertrude Stein. A description and pre-publication subscription offer is
available on our website. The Play Book is the first of a series of
publications called Proteotypes that grow out of Proteus Gowanus programs.

Proteus Gowanus is also pleased to announce:
Two new permanent installations of an archival nature have joined The Museum
of Matches, A Cold War Room in the space adjacent to Proteus Gowanus: The
Reanimation Library www.reanimationlibrary.org, an independent library
serving artists, writers and cultural archeologists; and Anonima, an archive
of art, books and ephemera from a 1960¹s artist collaborative.

The Play exhibit and programs will be co-curated by Maddy Rosenberg and PG
Co-Founder/Director Sasha Chavchavadze.

Play Correspondents include: artist/animator Pahl Hluchan; artist/filmmaker
Jeanne Liotta; Brooklyn Museum Librarian/Curator of Books Deirdre Lawrence;
toy designer/historian/educator Karen Hewitt; and author/video game expert
Heather Chaplin.

Play Participants include: Rosaire Appel, Gerard Barbot, The Brooklyn Museum
Library, Cabinet Magazine, Ted Chafee, Heather Chaplin, Chris Cogburn, Donn
Davis, Susan Dunkerley, Joanna Ebenstein, The Gowanus Dredgers Canoe Club,
Marty Greenbaum, Melissa Henley, Karen Hewitt, The Kentler International
Drawing Space Satellite Flatfile of Contemporary Prints, Halona Hilbertz,
Pahl Hluchan, Sharon Horvath, Leslie Kerby, Jenni Knight, Tom La Farge,
Jeanne Liotta, Desi Minchillo, David Moore/Bing and Ruth, Place in History,
Shervone Neckles, Debra Pearlman, Alan Rosner, Lance Rutledge, Sally
Sturman, The Institute For Figuring, Dan Torop, Ugly Duckling Presse, Paulus
Van Horne, Vertical Player Repertory, Wendy Walker, Jane Zweibel, 99 Hooker.

The Artistsbook Library: Eileen Arnow-Levine, Carol Barton, Mindy Belloff,
Doug Beube, Mark Staff Brandl, Stephanie Brody-Lederman, Catya Plate, Libby
Clarke, Lucinda Cobley, Beatrice Coron, Maureen Cummins, Evelyn Eller,
Sandra C. Fernandez, Anne Gilman, Geoff Green, Martha Hayden, Bob Heman,
Susan Hensel, Kumi Korf, David Lantow, Andre Lee, Jill Mckeown, Veronica
Morgan, Florence Neal, Heidi Neilson, Susan Newmark, Sarah Nicholls, Donna
Maria deCreeft, Amee Pollack and Laurie Spitz, Purgatory Pie Press - Dikko
Faust and Esther Smith, Maddy Rosenberg, Susan Rotolo, Elsie Sampson, Miriam
Schaer, Susan Share, Shirley Sharoff, Carolyn Shattuck, Robbin Ami
Silverberg, Karina Aguilera Skvirsky, Micki Watanabe Spiller, April Vollmer,
Debra Weier.

Come visit!

Proteus Gowanus
543 Union Street @ Nevins Street Gate