[BKARTS] Quilted Books at South Florida's Jaffe Center for Book Arts

Book Arts Foks:

We have just this afternoon announced the winners of our first ever quilted book competition here at the Jaffe Center for Book Arts at Florida Atlantic University Libraries. "Quilted books?" you may say. Yes, quilted books. Hence the name of our exhibition:

	Quilted Books?
	Gold Coast Quilters Guild Book Arts Competition

Textile arts and book arts share a common foundation in the celebration of the handmade object. Arthur Jaffe, curator of the Jaffe Collection, invited members of South Florida's Gold Coast Quilters Guild to explore this common ground by challenging them to create artists' books in the medium they know best: fabric.

The entries were judged by Mr. Jaffe, along with renowned quilter Jane Hill, and me, too. The winning entry (Jane Gravlick's "In Touch with American Quilters," a movable book that is a 110" scroll of quilt squares, with text, inside a wind-up quilt-covered box) is a permanent addition to the Jaffe Collection. Other prizes were awarded by the Gold Coast Quilters Guild, as well, to Elizabeth Locke (2nd prize for "Department Store"), Pamela Kepchar (3rd prize for "Arabia and Beyond"), and Donna Organ (honorable mention for "Conditions of the Heart").

An exhibition of all the works will be on view in the gallery outside the Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts, third floor east of FAU's Wimberly Library, now through October 31, 2007. Come see our newest book, and all the other great quilted books on display. The exhibition is available for viewing anytime during regular library hours, which are quite extensive. Current hours are posted at this link:

http://www.library.fau.edu/geninfo/hours.htm#boca

Feel free to contact me for more information, or, if you're in the South Florida area, to make an appointment to see other books in the collection.
John

John Cutrone Programs Coordinator The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts Florida Atlantic University Wimberly Library 777 Glades Road Boca Raton, Florida 33431 http://www.jaffecollection.org