Re: [BKARTS] sugar paper

Here's a (now historic) 1952 definition of sugar paper from Labarre's Dictionary...

"...a common quality of wrapping paper, blue (formerly referred to as 'sugar blues' and dyed with logwood) or purple (formerly also white...) made principally from waste paper, and used, as its name implies, for sugar bags. At the London Exhibition of 1851, van Gelder exhibited a two-coloured sugar paper, white inside and red outisde..."

Some of the blue paper covered books of the 18th and 19th century are made with sugar paper (used for wrappers or as board covering material).

Perhaps there is a more contemporary use of the term, but when I hear it mentioned (and not very often) it is in regard to its use as historic pamphlet wrapper or board covering material.

Is the paper you are referring to is similar to what is described above?

Nancy H. Nitzberg
B O O K - C A R E
(near Philadelphia, PA  USA)

-----Original Message----- From: Christine Headley <christine@xxxxxxxxxx> To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 5:31 pm Subject: [BKARTS] sugar paper

or is it sugarpaper...

Anyway, is it a material known in the USA? If not, how would one describe
it to an international readership?

I'm making a web page for my so-called bookbinding business (it would bore
most people on this list to tears, but I'm selling something pretty basic
because it's all I can do!). I have sugarpaper and I can bind it up in
books for children but, if I'm communicating with Americans, they need to
know what I'm talking about. (I don't see why anyone should buy such a book
transatlantic, but I'd hate to lose sales just because I wasn't understood.)

Best wishes

Christine

Christine Headley

Listowner, Virtual Book Group - October choice - An Ice Cream War by
William Boyd

Butterrow, Stroud, Glos

  <http://library.syr.edu/digital/exhibits/b/bookoforigins/