[BKARTS] alum-tawed skin on oak boards: chemistry

Hello,

I am a new member of the list, and stumbled here because of a problem I've
been having with alum-tawed goatskin on oak boards. After poking around the
web and writing to some other binders, I found Jack Thompson's post from
1998 (
<http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/bookarts/1998/09/msg000
7>
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/bookarts/1998/09/msg0007
7.html) about the reaction of tannins in oak boards and moisture working to
create ink spots. This is *exactly* what has been happened to 3 of my books,
and it happens most noticeably on the corner turn-ins.

My question is about the exact chemistry involved. Is something from the
alum-tawed skin permeating the wheat paste, and the paste acts as a vehicle
and interacts with the tannins from the oak to create the spotting effect?
I've never had this problem with other leathers on oak boards, so I must
assume that the alum-tawed skin contributes something to the chemical
reaction. Jack's post refers to sweat from hands as well--is this a factor?
If so, will wearing latex gloves help impede this reaction? Will keeping the
amount of paste to an absolute minimum help? I'd really like to know the
precise chemical reaction, if possible.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Best wishes,
Nancy Hulan