[BKARTS] College Book Arts Association (CBAA) , Jan 11-12, 2008, Tucson, AZ

Tucson CBAA Meeting in January, Save the Date

As co-coordinator, I am writing to invite any interested book arts educators
to come to the first annual meeting of the newly formed organization, the
College Book Arts Association, or CBAA. This is the group that was originally proposed at the informal gathering of book arts educators held in January 2006 at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

Karen White Zimmermann, head of the Visual Communications Department of the
University of Arizona in Tucson is the other co-coordinator and the
University of Arizona's College of Fine Art has kindly agreed to be the host
institution. Details are still being worked out but we have confirmed the
dates as Friday, January 11 and Saturday, January 12, 2008 in Tucson.

It has been proposed by the Board of Directors of CBAA, that there be a
work-and-planning meeting of the new organization every other year (at least
for the first few years) and a full book arts convention on the alternate
year, which would be 2009. This upcoming no-frills get-together in January
2008 would be the first major planning meeting. The main point of the
meeting needs to be the work of the organization ?which of course concerns
the teaching of book arts. We will focus on how to make and have the
organization be one that is responsive to member educator needs. It would be
different in general tone and intention from earlier collegiate press
conferences. This will not be a conference. This will be an organizational
meeting that will set the course for this important new association.

If you would like to be part of what we hope will be a very important
professional organization, we hope that we will see you in Tucson. If you
feel that you would like to have input and you have ideas about what the
CBAA can be, please reserve these two dates in January and stay tuned for
more detailed info in the next month and a half.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Philip Zimmermann,
Professor, School of Art+Design
Purchase College, State University of New York
735 Anderson Hill Road
Purchase NY 10577-1400

914+251.6785 (academic year only) Mon through Weds.
845+876.2719 (home) Thurs through Sun.

pzim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (all year + preferred)
phil.zimmermann@xxxxxxxxxxxx