[BKARTS] Workshop and lecture at Cornell

A Day with Peter Verheyen: workshop and lecture at Cornell University
October 11, 2007

Workshop on Historic Headbands

"A book without an endband is like a gentleman without a tie."

Spend a morning making models of historic endbands. We'll start with the basic wrapped core 'stuck-on' endband. Then we'll move on to explore numerous historical variations, ranging from the basic 'primary,' which serves as a foundation for plaited and braided endbands using thread and leather, to more modern single- and double-core variations. Our samples will be sewn on robust practice "cards."

All materials will be provided.

Workshop will be from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Conservation Lab. (B-31) of Olin Library, Cornell University.
Cost for the workshop is $30 for Cornell Book Arts Club members/ $40 for non-members. Includes materials.
Limited to 12 people.

For more information or to register contact: Michele Brown, 255-2484 or mb72@xxxxxxxxxxx or bookarts@xxxxxxxxxxxx Checks can be made out to the Cornell Book Arts Club.

Lecture at 4 p.m. in Room 106, Olin Library - "Stations of a Bookbinders Life - Twenty-five Years in the Field"

Introduced to bookbinding and conservation by John Dean as a work -study student at Johns Hopkins, Peter Verheyen chose to enter the profession following graduation. In this illustrated lecture, Peter will speak about his experiences as an apprentice in Germany, further training, work as a binder and conservator, and other twists and turns of his career. Following the lecture, guests will be able to view a selection of Peter's bindings.

Lecture is free.