[BKARTS] Judy Hoffman Installation: opening Oct 4 6-8p @ SPACE gallery

SPACE gallery
207A Front St. at Beekman St.
Wed-Sunday 12-7 (or by appt.)
212 393 9191
2-3-4-5-A-J-M-Z-M15bus  to Fulton St. A to B'wy Nassau

Opening Oct 4 6-8 (closing Oct.28)

SPACE gallery, located in New York's South Street Seaport neighborhood, is pleased to announce a new and on-going installation by environmental and book artist Judy Hoffman.

Judy has created a new installation in a private room on the gallery's mezzanine, and will be visiting each day to add new materials and ideas.

Judy creates dense landscapes that appear to both grow and decay. This complex world is made of natural and industrial debris scavenged from sidewalks, empty lots, beaches, and roadsides. Her fascination with making things is evident in the magical way that she combines and constructs disparate elements. Hoffman sees the potential for abject scavenged objects to become something else. Its as if a crumpled piece of wire calls out to her from the sidewalk, "I'm lively. Take me. I could be something."

"As with my other room installations, this one will grow and evolve as I combine my handmade paper, urban debris and natural found materials. It is unlikely that "books" will appear in this piece but they will be available for sale in the adjacent book space in the other room. The books and installations are all improvisations on structures in nature, especially of plant and animal life. They are outgrowths of each other. Together, side by side, they make a complete presentation."

Judy Hoffman has had solo exhibitions at the Ceres, New York, NY and has created site-specific installations for galleries and gardens including the Abrons Art Center, Henry Street Settlement, New York, NY, The Omni Gallery, Uniondale, NY, the New Visions Garden, and the United Community Garden, both in Brooklyn, NY. She frequently teaches printmaking and handmade papermaking.

Exhibition curated by Jon Coffelt, previously director of Agnes Gallery in Birmingham, and Jim Wintner of Colophon Page.

JUDY HOFFMAN'S work can be seen at: http://www.wavehill.org/arts/judy_hoffman.html http://www.wavehill.org/arts/natureindoorsfortheholidays.html http://www.ceresgallery.org/new/artists/hoffman.html http://www.handcraftcenter.org/virtualgallery/recreation.html

Regards,
Jim