Re: [BKARTS] Parchment/Vellum Supplier

Our experience buying vellum from tanneries which don't make vellum specifically for bookbinders is that it is often too thick for binding books, and requires thinning. Vellum and parchment is usually made for drum-makers and for Torah scrolls.

The thinning process is done most easily by the vellum makers themselves, who will sand it back on giant drum sanders, to your specifications.

So, if you are buying vellum from a new source, check to see if they appreciate that vellum for books needs to be not too thick. It also needs to be flexible. I have usually stood by the tanner during this sanding process, and had it sanded back until it felt of suitable thickness and flexibility.

David