Re: [BKARTS] Parchment/Vellum Supplier

Aaron,
Very well stated.
Thank you.
Bill Minter

On Oct 4, 2007, at 9:43 AM, Aaron Salik wrote:

As with all materials there are ranges in prices and quality. Without
knowing the quality of products this manufacturer you mention produces I am
not sure how we can fairly be compared to them.

However it does trouble me when ones decision making is done solely on price
with other factors thrown to the side. It is the same as if a very
reputable hand bookbinder estimates a cost of binding a book to a potential
customer at a very different price than a commercial library bindery would.
Granted every thing has its time and place, but many times we are not
comparing apples to apples.

In terms of the parchment and vellum we carry, we too have a range in price
and quality available. Our most expensive skins originate from Cowley's who
is considered the finest parchment maker in the world. Yes these skins are
expensive (around $300 each), but there is a time and place for everything.
Our middle range skins come from South America, and we rested on this
supplier after an exhausting search from suppliers around the world, and
found them to be the best value for quality around. These skins come in at
around $80 per skin (priced by the skin not the square foot,) and are VERY
well priced for the quality. Then we have our more rustic skins from Nepal
which we are selling for $32.50 per skin.

So like all things in the world you get what you pay for, but it is
unfortunate when we get blinded by a single factor without looking at the
whole picture. Particularly when our mid range skins are right in keeping
with what you reference, and with us you don't have to pay for international
shipping charges, and are dealing with a local supplier much closer to home.

Regards,
Aaron Salik

Talas
20 West 20th Street