Re: [BKARTS] ortho-phenylphenol anyone?

J. J. Foncannon wrote:
> 	Sometime ago I asked a question about the use of nitrophenol as
an
> antifungicide.  It was never satisfactorily answered, although there
> were many alarmist replies from those with no experience, based on
info
> in the MSDS.
> 	Many questions have come up about adhesives, too, that were
never
> satisfactorily answered.
> CONCLUSION:  We need a chemist in this group (preferably, an adhesive
> chemist.)
> 	However, about phenylphenol, I found some useful information at
> http://aic.stanford.edu/sg/bpg/annual/v03/bp03-01.html.
> 	Question: how may we obtain this in reasonable quantitites?

While it is true that many of us are not chemists, conservation school
requires chemistry for at least six semesters if not more between
prerequisites and the program itself. It is for that reason that we tend
to have "alarmist" responses to the random chemicals that some people
feel prepared to use.

A lot of conservation is irreversible. We were taught that if we
couldn't reverse something, then we had better be very sure that it was
chemically stable internally and not a source of oxidizers or free
radicals that promote the deterioration of surrounding materials. That
doesn't mean that new materials cannot be used; just that they require
rigorous testing (such as that done by CCI, the Getty, IPI, etc.) to
determine suitability for long-term use.

Then we can do our own in-house tests to determine practical uses (for
example, application to and removal of an adhesive from paper using
common heat, moisture, and solvent methods.)

When we go back to volume 3 of the BPG annual, we have to ask ourselves
why something hasn't been revisited since the 1980's. Cathy Baker's
article outlines a number of techniques which have endured in the
training at Buffalo, but many were revised to reflect improvements in
technology since 1984. Out of all of the things cited in that article,
the use of fungicides in paste is the one single item that was comletely
rejected, rather than modified to reflect research from the time. By the
time I got to Buffalo in the mid-90's we were not using fungicides at
all. So then, naturally, those of us trained since then have "no
experience" using fungicides.

Valinda Carroll
Preservation Manager
Harvey Library