Re: [BKARTS] Broadsides

If I'm reading my OED correctly, it appears that the first use of the term was at least 1575, pre-dating the term "broadsheet" by a couple of centuries, and was used to describe a single large sheet of paper printed on one side.

We put together a really nice exhibition of broadsides here in 2002, and though our catalog doesn't go into the history of the actual term, it does have a line or two about the history of the item itself:

"Broadsides are single sheet printings. They became widely used soon after the development of printing in the Fifteenth Century for royal proclamations and official notices, and later evolved into vehicles for political agitation. Today, broadsides are more likely to have a literary association, challenging printers to make the most of one confined plane: a very different challenge that that of a book."

I hope others have more to add to this.... I love this stuff! Thanks for asking this question, Keith.

John

John Cutrone
Programs Coordinator
The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts
Boca Raton, Florida
http://www.jaffecollection.org