Re: [BKARTS] Broadsides

Keith  and John,
Here  are some things to think about regarding broadsides today: As you know,
 a broadsheet may be just printed verbal image, i.e. text, but it may also
include wonderful visual images carefully integrated into the “look” of the
single page.
Japanese surimono of roughly  1830 - 1860 were single printed sheets. Some of
the finest printers and design  artists were responsible for the graphics,
and poetry clubs produced  contemporary poems or incorporated old poems for the
verbal images. The graphic  usually left “unassigned” space for the words.
Layers upon layers of meaning  were “read” in a work.
Likewise, in our modern world, we are quite likely to encounter a single
sheet of sophisticated verbal and visual images: posters, political signs, movie
billboards, and the like. In an advertisement – essentially a single sheet—
we  may see words actually superimposed on an image. In childrens’ book spreads
—  essentially collections of single sheets— we read verbal images which are
 usually carefully integrated into the visual image, often on some
specially-designed “empty” space, as in the surimono.
At  www.threehalfpress.com  you  can see how photographer Ann Flewelling and
poet Marnie Reed Crowell approach  the challenges of using what we call
digital “Light Pages” as a form of literary  work on a single plane— the computer
screen.
We are  fascinated by the challenges of simultaneously presenting both visual
and verbal  images of literary depth, without trivializing either words or
graphics. The  words deepen the meaning of the photographs and the visual images
often make  verbal allusions more accessible. One plus one is way more than
two. Our  collaboration is simultaneous and between equal partners, verbal and
visual. Are  there others of you working and thinking this way?
Marnie  Reed Crowell
Threehalf Press