Re: [BKARTS] more on ortho-phenylphenol

Once upon a time, a very long time ago, I got a batch of PVA that I'm sure had gluteraldehyde (sp??) in it. I used to work in science using the stuff and I recognized the rotten pumpkin smell. But I've only run into that once, ---maybe 20 years ago.
Virginia
----- Original Message ----- From: "J. J. Foncannon" <bolu.bolu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2007 7:17 PM
Subject: Re: more on ortho-phenylphenol

"Putting it into paste is basically a way of trying to weasel out of
cooking a fresh batch of paste."

This accusation is like a dagger to my heart.
Manufacturers DO put some kind of antifungicide in their PVA, and it is
very effective.  It takes a long time for PVA, not mixed with anything
else, to get moldy. I (and others on this list) have been unable to
discern the composition of commercial PVA products because manufacturers
consider the information proprietary.  Queries to the manufacturers of
Elmer All Purpose Glue, the white stuff, were met with evasions, except
for the comment, "We do not recommend this product for archival
purposes."  Hell, I knew that--- I could smell the acetic acid resulting
from the depolymerization of the PVA.
I find it strange that book conservators and painting conservators seem
to have different paradigms about the risks associated with the use of
chemicals.  I think the latter consider book people a bunch of
chemiphobic wusses, and are willing to step up to the plate and take
their chances.  Bring on the acetone.
As an aside, the statement,  "It is fungistatic as mentioned by others
(it can kill mold), but not truly fungicidal (does not prevent new mold
growth or eliminate viable spores)."  makes no sense to me. Who cares
whether it kills spores, as long as it kills them when they sprout? (or
do whatever they do.)
My main concern is about the preservation of hide glue between runs.  I
have found thymol pretty useless.  One thing I have not tried is
freezing the glue between runs.  Has anyone tried this?

Valinda Carroll wrote:

If you are truly interested in the late 1980s to early 1990s take on ortho-phenylphenol, then you might wish to read the peer-reviewed research published in the Journal of the American Institute for Conservation during that period. Ortho-phenylphenol was found to be of very limited efficacy (ie not worth the risks) in JAIC vol. 25, No.1 pp. 49-55 (1986) and JAIC vol.29, No.2 pp. 153-168 (1990). People were promoting it as a substitute for thymol. It is still recommended for sanitizing hard surfaces (workstations, vacuum nozzles, etc) when working with moldy artifacts (although the ethanol can be used for that too). It is fungistatic as mentioned by others (it can kill mold), but not truly fungicidal (does not prevent new mold growth or eliminate viable spores). One of the authors reminds us that nonviable, fungicide-coated mold spores can be both allergenic and toxic anyway.

Another study (fungi from the Ajanta caves) seemed to show efficacy in
the petri dish, but was not evaluated on paper artifacts
(Biodeterioration of cultural property: proceedings of the International
Conference on Biodeterioration of Cultural Property, February 20-25,
1989, held at National Research Laboratory for Conservation of Cultural
Property, in collaboration with ICCROM and INTACH. Agrawal, O.P. and
Dhawan, Shashi, Editors. Macmillan India Ltd. (1991), pp. 313-338)

Putting it into paste is basically a way of trying to weasel out of
cooking a fresh batch of paste.

Valinda Carroll

Censorship is a juggernaut that cannot be fine-tuned

Jet Foncannon
4516 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA     19139