Re: [BKARTS] more on ortho-phenylphenol

On Oct 8, 2007, at 7:17 PM, J. J. Foncannon wrote:

Manufacturers DO put some kind of antifungicide in their PVA, and it is
very effective. It takes a long time for PVA, not mixed with anything
else, to get moldy.

This is a comment / question:
While there is, or may be, a fungicide in PVA, is it really necessary? For mold to grow, doesn't there have to be a food, an organic material, present? We mix methyl cellulose powder with water, and it will not have mold after many, many months, unless it has been contaminated. Since PVA is almost purely inorganic (is that right?), maybe it will not support mold, unless contaminated ---- someone else must have a better chemical knowledge to help me/us on this one.
It has been stated before, that we must keep out stock containers of adhesive clean to prevent mold.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020