Re: [BKARTS] ortho-phenylphenol / long-term paste storage

On Oct 9, 2007, at 8:18 AM, Andrew Rabkin wrote:

I've heard canning proposed as a way of storing paste long-term without adding preservatives. I have no experience with the process myself, and I'm reporting this to the list as third- or fourth-hand hearsay, so take this with a grain of salt (or ortho- phenylphenol, if that's your thing). .......... My first of many questions about the process would be whether the canning process alters the working or archival properties of the paste, but still, it's an intriguing idea. Has anyone tried something like this?
I had heard about this idea many years ago, but I do not know the long-term results.
Boiling of the paste in the tube should not affect the working properties.

As for PVA and mold - my PVA, stored in an airtight Rubbermaid container swabbed out with ethanol prior to use, starts to get moldy within a few weeks. A small amount of alcohol (ethanol and isopropanol both seem to work), about 1-2% by volume, mixed in with the PVA seems to slow, though not prevent, the mold growth. When the PVA starts to smell like funky yogurt, or when it starts getting brown/green/red swirls, I dump it.
Whatever PVA you have must be contaminated before you transfer it to your containers. I have never had any trouble with Jade 403.

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020
Fax:   814-793-4045