From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
William Minter
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 10:29 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] ortho-phenylphenol / long-term paste storage

On Oct 9, 2007, at 8:18 AM, Andrew Rabkin wrote:

> I've heard canning proposed as a way of storing paste long-term
> without adding preservatives.  I have no experience with the
> process myself, and I'm reporting this to the list as third- or
> fourth-hand hearsay, so take this with a grain of salt (or ortho-
> phenylphenol, if that's your thing). .......... My first of many
> questions about the process would be whether the canning process
> alters the working or archival properties of the paste, but still,
> it's an intriguing idea.  Has anyone tried something like this?
I had heard about this idea many years ago, but I do not know the
long-term results.
Boiling of the paste in the tube should not affect the working
properties.

> As for PVA and mold - my PVA, stored in an airtight Rubbermaid
> container swabbed out with ethanol prior to use, starts to get
> moldy within a few weeks.  A small amount of alcohol (ethanol and
> isopropanol both seem to work), about 1-2% by volume, mixed in with
> the PVA seems to slow, though not prevent, the mold growth.  When
> the PVA starts to smell like funky yogurt, or when it starts
> getting brown/green/red swirls, I dump it.
Whatever PVA you have must be contaminated before you transfer it to
your containers. I have never had any trouble with Jade 403.

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020
Fax:   814-793-4045