Re: [BKARTS] PVA Shelf Life

My feeling on adhesives is this. Don't buy/make up more than you can use in a reasonable amount of time. In my modest "private practice," my after hours work at home I make up things as I need them because I may only work at something one day a week... I don't think this is atypical of most of us. This means I mix up paste for each sitting, either pre-gel or cooked if working with leather. Ditto on gelatin (hide glue). For the latter this means thinking ahead a day. With PVA I buy in smaller quanities and keep cool in storage. Seldom have contamination problems and then only if I get other stuff into it. By mixing up smaller amounts waste is minimized.

For larger operations, the same can hold true with some modification. Buying in bulk can save money, but if there's waste due to loss, then any savings are delusionary.

p.

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC
<verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>