Re: [BKARTS] kuttrimmer

I bought a brand-new table top model (1036) in September of 2004 and turned
a bunch of students loose on it. It lasted through that semester and into
the next, but not far beyond before the hand clamp began to wiggle, the
adjustable narrow cut fence popped off into oblivion, and, somehow, the
perpendicular ruling guide went out of square. I tried my best to get
everything back in shape, but it never did really recover. I just recently
moved to another institution where there is a foot clamp model which has
seen a lot of student use, including a lot of edition use. I tried it out
myself just about two weeks ago and was relieved to find that it was cutting
accurately and square every time. This experience confirmed what I had been
thinking for a while: the hand clamp on the table-top models is more than
inferior to the foot clamp on the larger models. If I had my druthers,
however, I would prefer a proper board sheer with the counter weight, and
the cast iron and that nice "thwack" that makes me think that the blade
isn't at all intimidated by the board.