Re: [BKARTS] kuttrimmer

Hi Bob,
I managed to pick up a real old Jacques cutter (with a wooden table insert instead of the later steel one). I took both blades to my local sharpener and he was able to sharpen it so well I didn't even have to adjust the built-in measuring stick. The big mistake people make when the cutter starts to get dull is to pull the blade in as they bring it down. That simply wears the edge faster and could result in not being able to sharpen it very many times. Adjustment can be a bit of a bear (it took me a whole day) but I can even cut silk with it now as well as .118 millboard.
Hope this info helps you make a decision,
Dave

840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
(250)888-9380    http://www.Bookbinder.ca

Bob Ritchie wrote:
Any suggestions re: maintaining the edges of a board shear? I have seen the tool designed by Jeff Peachey for honing at the correct angle; is it necessary to send the blade out for sharpening?

Bob Ritchie

-----Original Message----- From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Karen Sosa Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 10:00 AM To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [BKARTS] kuttrimmer

I have heard conflicting reports about Kuttrimmers and their ability to
cut binder's board, particularly if it is to be heavily used. I'm
looking for more opinions, especially from people who use it heavily,
ie. for edition bindings.
And if there is positive feed-back, could you recommend a particular
model?
Thanks so much,
karen sosa