Re: [BKARTS] ortho-phenylphenol / long-term paste storage

It seems to me that one of the easiest ways to prevent mold in your PVA is
to keep it cooler.  After reading all the reports of moldy PVA, it just
dawned on me this morning why I've never had a problem.  My small bindery is
nestled beside the library archive and is on the end of the same HVAC
system.  In the summer, the temperature seldom reaches 70 and in the winter
it usually stays below 60 (an anxious situation for one of my Kenyan student
workers).  I've been using from the same 5 gallon bucket of Jade for almost
two years now with no difficulty.  I've even had a small glass jar of
PVA/wheat paste last for months just sitting on the shelf with no problems.

Chad Longley
Preservation Coordinator
ACU Library
ACU Box 29208