Re: [BKARTS] Paste Debate!

Hi Everyone,

I've been using pva for binding my books, but in light of the discussion
about the less savory aspects of pva over the last few days (mold, nasty
preservatives, general toxicity), I've been thinking about whether to switch
over to wheat starch for at least part of my binding process.  I read stuff
in the archives about the pluses and minuses of pva versus wheat starch, and
it seems that most people recommend using pva for adhering book cloth
and casing in books, as it is stronger than wheat or rice paste.

I use layers of handmade papers for my covers, and am thinking about using
wheat starch paste to glue the paper layers together, and then use pva for
the rest of the binding process. I tried cooking up some wheat starch in my
microwave, and after a Frankensteinian few minutes of watching the stuff
bubble ominously, somehow came away with only about a teaspoon of actual
paste. I'm now thinking about trying out pre-cooked wheat starch, because it
sounds easier than trying to figure out how to reduce the power setting on
my microwave (I know, it's pathetic, but hey). Have any of you used
pre-cooked wheat starch on handmade paper, and if so, did it bond well?

Thanks,
Barbara

--
Barbara Simler