From: "Roy Thomson" <roythomson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: October 15, 2007 3:23:48 PM EDT
To: <wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'Randy Silverman'" <randy.silverman@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Aluminium alkoxide

Dear Bill,

Randy has sent a copy of your message. The mention of aluminium alkoxide in The Conservation of Leather is somewhat minimal. A slightly fuller explanation of the development of this product and method of use can be found on pp 117-118 in my chapter on Leather in Eric May & Mark Jones, eds. Conservation Science Heritage Materials. Cambridge: Royal Society of Chemistry, 2006. Originally, this material was sold by the LCC, dissolved in chlorinated solvents. Unfortunately, now that these are banned, we have to use white spirits. This gives problems with postage and certainly the cost of air freight would be prohibitive.

Hope this helps, Roy.

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020