[BKARTS] Convivio Book of Days Catalog: Shaker Herbs

Book Arts Folks:

Our announcement today is book arts related mainly in experience (though papermakers may take special notice, too). We've printed a number of books "on the road" over the years, and one of our favorite places to print and bind has been Chosen Land, the Shaker Community at Sabbathday Lake in New Gloucester, Maine. It's the only active Shaker Community in existence, and they've named it aptly, this place that is a beautiful sanctuary and quiet land. One of the most memorable aspects of Chosen Land is the aroma of herbs wafting from the Herb Department, where the Shakers continue the business of packing and selling herbs, a business they began in the 1860s.

We've just added the complete collection of 20 Shaker Herbs to the Convivio Book of Days Catalog, as well as Shaker Rose Water, a mysterious and complex flavoring that has been used for centuries, and "Shaker Your Plate," a book of Shaker recipes and history by Sister Frances A. Carr, eldress of the Community.

The herbs are packed in metal tins, just as they were in the 1860s. We've been using them for years here at the house, and, in fact, have used them not just in our best cooking but even in papermaking. (We especially recommend Shaker Marigold as an excellent floral inclusion for papermaking!)

If we've sparked some curiosity, here's a direct link to the Shaker Herb page of our Book of Days Catalog:

http://www.conviviobookworks.com/pages/Shaker%20Herbs.html

If that direct link doesn't work for you (sometimes our links to our long), you'll find the Shaker Herb page easily enough by going to our homepage (link below, in our signature). Once you're there, click on "Our Catalog," then on "Book of Days Catalog" and there it will be.

We wish you creative days... and good food, at least for us, is a big part of that. Enjoy!
John & Seth

"Thank you, and write when you can." Convivio Bookworks John Cutrone & Seth Thompson, proprietors Inspired goods from around the globe and close to home... Books and broadsides, made by hand in Lake Worth, Florida. http://www.conviviobookworks.com

*