Re: [BKARTS] Accelerated aging on paste?

Hi Daniel,

the oldest books have been made using paste of different kinds. Some of these books are older than 1400 years. There is no need of aging tests, because nature has already performed these tests ;-)
Oh no, those simple, direct questions…
What is the longevity of a book bound using rice
starch paste?

IF:
“Accelerated aging tests performed by the R.J. Barrow
Research Laboratory indicate that a conservative
estimate of the longevity of PVA binding is no less
than 450 years.”
Source: http://www.mekatronicsinc.com/html/bio_6.html

THEN:
What about the longevity of a rice starch paste
binding?  Any aging tests been performed?

And I don’t mean to stir up a discussion on the
pros/cons of PVA, but a student asked
me that question today and, to be embarrassingly
honest, I didn’t have a quick answer.  Thank goodness
they keep us on our toes.  Never stop learning.

Thank you,
Daniel Winston