Re: [BKARTS] Accelerated aging on paste?

Daniel Winston asked
IF:
"Accelerated aging tests performed by the R.J. Barrow
Research Laboratory indicate that a conservative
estimate of the longevity of PVA binding is no less
than 450 years."
Source: http://www.mekatronicsinc.com/html/bio_6.html

THEN:
What about the longevity of a rice starch paste
binding?  Any aging tests been performed?

HMMM:
I don't know of any book-specific paste longevity research. I do know
that there are a many Asian paper artifacts lined with long-fibered
papers and starch pastes, and that they have lasted longer than 450
years in real-time aging.

You might wish to read "The reversibility of starch paste," by Vincent
Daniels for a paste-specific aging study. It was published by UKIC in
1995. I've only read the abstract, so I don't know whether peel strength
or other adhesion variables were measured. It seems to focus on the
ability to remove starch residues.

Barrow Labs did their research quite a long time ago (one of my friends
worked for them in Richmond in the late 1980's, reversing a lot of the
same cellulose acetate laminations that they had previously applied).
Mr. Barrow died in 1967, so I'm not sure when the last research was done
in his lab. I didn't get the impression that they were actively doing
research during the waning years of the business, after the founder's
death.

The major contribution William Barrow made was to spread the word about
acid and wood pulp, and to convince people to use acid-free paper (and
to devise a method of deacidifying aged paper).

Is "R.J. Barrow" supposed to be connected to the famous William Barrow
or just some random lab?

Valinda Carroll
Preservation Manager
Harvey Library