[BKARTS] Wells Book Arts Center Summer Institute

The Wells Book Arts Center is pleased to announce the faculty and their
courses for the 2008 Summer Institute. At our institute we teach courses in
letterpress printing, hand bookbinding, and lettering arts both by hand and at
the computer. We offer housing on campus in an air conditioned dorm and meals
catered by a local gourmet bistro. Our instructors are among the top in their
fields, both here and in Europe.

The courses in our first session, July 6-12, are all at the introductory
level, and these faculty members are the first ones to come back to Wells as
second-time teachers. Peter Bain, proprietor of the design firm Incipit, will
teach ?Stems and Beziers: An Introduction to Typeface Design? using TypeTool
for its simplicity in design and production process; basic knowledge of
Illustrator is recom¬mended. Cheryl Jacobsen?s course ?Basic Italic
Calligraphy,? will introduce participants to this elegant and versatile hand
that is a good starting point for continued study of other hands; Cheryl
teaches calligraphy at the Iowa Center for the Book. Shanna Leino?s class will
explore the balance between technical aspects and conceptual development in
her course ?Making Books: the Beginning!? Shanna teaches at the University of
Georgia?s arts program in Cortona, Italy. Katherine McCanless Ruffin, the Book
Arts Program Director at Wellesley, invites you to come get inky in her course
?Letterpress Printing From A to Z.? These introductory courses are great as
stand-alone courses, but they also serve as terrific introductions to the
courses in the next three sessions.

Session 2, July 13-19, has courses for the novice and the more advanced. Keiji
Shinohara, who teaches printmaking at Wesleyan University, is offering our
first course to include Japanese printmaking. Students in ?East Meets West:
Traditional Japanese Printmaking and Western Techniques? will learn
traditional wood block carving techniques along with various printing
processes, all by hand. Dolph Smith, widely known for books that are anything
but static, will teach ?Moving Parts: The Book as Kinetic Sculpture? in which
students will take advantage of all 22 possible moving parts in a 20-page
book. Ewan Clayton will join us from his native England, where he is Professor
of Design at the University of Sunderland, to teach a course on uncials
entitled ?Calligraphy: The Dynamics of Movement.? Participants will create a
portfolio of pieces that explore the beauty and versatility of uncials.

In Session 3, running from July 20-26, our faculty are Inge Bruggeman, Anna
Embree and Sara Soskolne. Inge, who teaches book arts at the Oregon College of
Arts and Craft, will teach ?Considering Text and Image,? in which students
will use hand-set type and various letterpress image-making techniques as they
examine the relationship between printed text and image. Anna teaches binding
in the book arts program at the University of Alabama, and her class in ?Boxed
In: Creating Custom-built Enclosures? will learn to make boxes for individual
objects, items of unusual shape, or larger collections of materials. Sara, a
designer at New York?s Hoefler & Frere-Jones foundry, will teach her
typography students the joy of digital type design in ?More Than the Sum of
Its Parts: Turning Letters into a Typeface.?

Our fourth session, July 27-August 2 will include classes in letterpress
printing, leather binding and calligraphy. Rachel Wiecking, Wells? fifth
Victor Hammer Fellow in the Book Arts, will teach a printing course using
Wells? collection of wood type, focusing on alternative printing techniques.
The course taught by Monqiue Lallier, Director of the American Academy of
Bookbinding, will be on leather binding in the French tradition. And Brody
Neuenschwander, renowned Bruges-based calligrapher, will teach a course that
explores text-based art using calligraphy and mixed media.

Whether you come to explore a new area or to gain experience in an area you
already work in, we are certain that you?ll learn a lot, enjoy the camaraderie
of other book artists, and revel in a week (or more!) of class with
distinguished teachers in the book arts. Our website is being redesigned to
make it easier to navigate; we?ll announce its grand opening soon. In the
meantime, you can contact the Book Arts Center at 315-364-3420 or via email at
dstefanko@xxxxxxxxxx We hope to see you in July!

Wells Book Arts Center
170 Main Street, Morgan Hall
Aurora NY 13026