[BKARTS] Fish Skins from Iceland

This summer I was an artist in residence in Hafnarfjordur, Iceland. While there I had the opportunity to purchase and work with fish skins of various types. The Icelanders use them for fashion items including wallets, belts, and shoes. Although narrow, they are useful for the spines of books. They come in various colors. I purchased them in Reykjavik from Hvitlist http://www.hvitlist.is/english.htm Their website is not particularly helpful, but there is an email address should you want to pursue it. Examples of the work I did with fish skin can be seen on my website under the section called Iceland: Books 2007 http://web.mac.com/nettles3/Icelandic_Residency%3A_Books/ Fate,_Being_%26_Necessity.html

Bea Nettles  Professor  in Art & Design
University of Illinois
408 East Peabody Drive
Champaign, Illinois 61820